Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Lübeck-- Kind of like Lubbock

On Saturday 5 December, I decided to spend the day in Lübeck!  (Jeremy asked if there would be tumbleweeds a frito pie, like in Lubbock...)  Three and a half hours and three trains later, I arrived at my destination.  One of my main goals in Lübeck was to visit the St. Annen Museum to see their current exhibition, Lübeck 1500: Kunstmetropole im Ostseeraum.  Though Lübeck is not terribly well known outside of Germany today, during the Middle Ages it was an extremely important city.  This exhibition showed (among other things) a number of wooden sculptures and altarpieces.  It was a great show and a neat museum!  Unfortunately, no photography was allowed.
St. Annen Museum, Lübeck
After the museum I visited a couple churches, including the cathedral.  It was already getting dark, which happens earlier and earlier now, but the enormous churches and cathedrals never cease to amaze me.  The cathedral had already closed, but I was able to go inside another church and see this nice little nativity display.  I always love a good nativity.



Lübeck Cathedral 
Lübeck Cathedral
I headed out into the wild world of Weihnachtsmarkt after the museum and churches!  The Lübeck Weihnachtsmarkt was HUGE and BUSY!  We are talking no room for personal space whatsoever.  Luckily, that doesn't really bother me so I just bustled down the streets and through the booths with everyone else!


Lübecker Weihnachtsmarkt
I stumbled upon this totally cool band, and my new life goal is to be just like their drummer.  She spun and her skirt twirled, and she banged on the drum, and laughed, and rang bells, and was a total rock star!  They were a lot of fun, and the crowd loved them.



Admittedly, one of the main reasons behind my trip to Lübeck was to visit Niederegger, a famous manufacturer of Lübecker marzipan.  Niederegger was even more packed than the Weihnachtsmarkt, if you can even imagine.  The trinkets, decorations, and brightly-colored candies were delightful and it was well worth the pilgrimage to see it all!!
Niederegger!
Spooky wooden Weihnachtsmann at Niederegger
Niederegger!
Another successful day for Frau Bevin in Germany.  Goodnight, Lübeck!


No comments:

Post a Comment